The project in a few words
“Back and Forth” is a youth exchange organized by Associazione Kora in Passignano sul Trasimeno (Italy) in June 2023, focused on the topic of food traditions and their impact on the planet.
What is the relationship between traditional food (and culture at large) and environmental sustainability? As traditional meals often have ingredients that have a high impact on the environment (like meat and dairy products), should we give up our traditions or there is a possibility to keep together culture and sustainability? Is traditional cuisine discriminatory, as a number of vegetarian and vegan people are rising?
- To provide participants with knowledge about food choices and their impact on environment,
- To share and increase awareness about national/regional traditions of participating countries,
- To investigate the concept of cultural identity and its connection to food traditions,
- To promote the introduction of environmental sustainability in traditional recipes and meals,
- To provide practical cooking skills to participants,
- To raise awareness on differences and similarities of participating countries’ cultures and traditions,
- To provide young Europeans tools to reduce their impact on the environment through food choices.
Who can apply?
Youngsters (18-31 years old) that…
- … have a strong motivation to learn about food traditions and their consequences on the environment
- … are fluent in English as a working language (being able to understand and communicate in English for the entire project)
- … can commit to attending to the project for its full duration
- … are proactive and willing to learn more about the topic
- … are residing in Germany
- … We encourage the participation of participants with fewer opportunities. (Participants with fewer opportunities will be prioritised.)
Associazione Kora was founded in August 2015 to promote social and cultural awareness for its members (mainly youth) through outdoor life, socialisation opportunities, nutrition and sustainability. Kora is situated in Passignano sul Trasimeno in the educational farm “La Buona Terra”, where it collaborates with other entities who have their activities on the farm. Kora was founded to offer activities that neither the cooperative nor the agricultural company can carry out.