The project in a few words
“Changing the Narratives” is a youth exchange organized by Primi Piani ODV that aims to explore the complex topic of youth mental health and deepen the reflection on the concept of mental and physical well-being among young people in today’s post-pandemic society, through the language of graphic novels, storytelling, and nonformal education.
Mental health is increasingly at the center of public debate in different spheres of our societies however various phenomena related to mental illness and psychological distress are unfortunately raising in young people. Art, in all its forms, has been proven to be extremely effective to combat the stigma and create awareness on this topic helping young people to express themselves and communicate their ideas and thoughts.
- To discover and use graphic novels’ potential as an artistic medium and show how it can be used to talk and share information about mental health,
- To improve participants’ artistic, storytelling, expressive and creative skills,
- To understand the potential that social media has for spreading positive messages and to learn how to use it in a constructive way,
- To deconstruct the assimilated stereotypes and stigma that people with mental health diseases face daily,
- To provide participants with tools to recognize and manage their emotions and present a new narrative where they will be understood and not excluded,
- To promote intercultural learning, active citizenship and social inclusion,
- To promote European values and the improvement of soft skills,
- To promote the Erasmus+ program and its opportunities.
Who can apply?
Youngsters (18-31 years old) that…
- … have experienced mental health issues or are interested in learning more about them
- … are interested in Art, Graphic design, drawing, writing, and being creative
- … are fluent in English as a working language (being able to understand and communicate in English for the entire project)
- … can commit to attending to the project for its full duration
- … are proactive and willing to learn more about the topic
- … are residing in Germany
- … We encourage the participation of participants with fewer opportunities. (Participants with fewer opportunities will be prioritised.)
Primi Piani Odv is an Italian association active since the year 2007 that aims to stimulate active citizenship through the commitment of the associated volunteers and its associates, using non-formal education, multimedia and communication tools and, in addition, through the dissemination of artistic, cultural, creative and scientific content.
The main purpose is to select and disseminate audiovisual, photographic, artistic and textual content on social issues and to promote them, above all by, digital means through the Web and, when applicable, through press, printed publications and the organization of dedicated events.